From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Why lastrite when it works? (Was: Re: [gentoo-dev] Packages up for grabs due to retirement)
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2017 02:52:11
1 On 06/01/17 15:01, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 11:27 PM, Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o> wrote:
3 >> If packages had a field called "BUGS=" it could contain an array of
4 >> bugs a package is known to contain, but can be conditionally avoided if
5 >> you're careful.
6 >>
7 >> Packages with non-empty BUGS= fields would be treated as hard-masked
8 >> for the purpose of repoman checks, and so packages that depend on
9 >> specific version ranges of packages with BUGS= fields are invalid,
10 >> and need their own BUGS= fields.
11 >>
12 > So, while I'm not sure if this is the best way to go about it, I think
13 > what it does point to is there being possible benefit in creating a
14 > closer link between our repository and bug trackers.
15 >
16 > We've seen this come up in managing stable requests as well (having
17 > users be able to vote on things, having automated testing, etc).
18 >
19 > With the recent stable changes we have bugs being tagged with "atoms."
20 > With your proposal we have ebuilds being tagged with bugs.
21 >
22 > I can see benefits to having a single way to associate bugs and
23 > ebuilds, and making those associations available to bug trackers and
24 > package managers.
25 >
26 > I think the question is:
27 > 1. What is the best way to go about this?
28 > 2. Is anybody actually going to make use of this?
29 >
30 > The intended use cases in #2 probably will influence #1. However, it
31 > doesn't make sense to have multiple ways of doing these associations,
32 > because bugzilla doesn't know anything about the repo, and portage
33 > doesn't know anything about bugzilla. Having one place to store the
34 > associations and tools to make that information accessible elsewhere
35 > makes more sense.
36 >
37 #gentoo-grumpy :) o/ leio !