From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo git workflow
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 14:22:44
1 Rich Freeman:
2 > On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 9:13 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Yes, you have to rerun repoman after a rebase or merge. On the tip of
4 >> the local master branch (as in: right before you try to push).
5 >>
6 >> Sure, this may lead to problems if repoman takes long... but that's on
7 >> purpose. If your changes are that big, then they should be communicated
8 >> and coordinated properly without people randomly pushing changes in
9 >> between that may break yours.
10 >
11 > What do you mean by proper coordination? Are you suggesting that we
12 > have scheduled downtime anytime we do a kde stablereq or something
13 > like that, once per arch?
16 I don't know how kde stablereqs work.
17
18 > Simply announcing the change isn't going to make repoman run any
19 > faster. If you try to stablize something like kde and the packages
20 > are in more than one category, then you will need something like
21 > 10-20min of tree downtime to do a commit if you have to do a repoman
22 > scan in the middle on spinning disks. If somebody so much as does a
23 > whitespace fix on a completely unrelated package you won't get a
24 > fast-forward commit.
27 Whether the package is related or not has to be verified by someone. I
28 doubt that a lot of people will review the changeset after a rebase or
29 merge and I don't have a lot of faith in people doing things right
30 including myself.
33 > So, unless we want to schedule all multi-category commits and build
34 > some kind of mechanism to even enforce this
37 Why all? If the multi-category commits are so big that you actually have
38 to run repoman on top-level (you could as well run it on all related
39 ebuild directories or on category-level), then yes... those monster
40 pushes should definitely be scheduled.
41
42 I think top-level repoman checks will be the exception, even for
43 multi-category commits.