From: Christian Birchinger <joker@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP ??: Critical News Reporting
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 14:30:04
1 On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 02:54:51PM +0100, Andrej Kacian wrote:
2 > On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 01:51:25 +0000
3 > Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > The attached GLEP is a draft proposal for the emerge --news thing that's
6 > > been under discussion. There are still some TODO items. These are calls
7 > > for people to weigh in with suggestions. Of course, suggestions on other
8 > > items are good too...
9 >
10 > Before this, make pre-install and post-install emerge messages more usable,
11 > instead of having them lost among thousands of gibberish text in batch emerges.
14 I always ask myself what's wrong with doing a simple "if"
15 statement before displaying infos, warnings or errors which
16 don't affect the current installaion.
17
18 No one complained when i started doing that ages ago in
19 bash-completion.
20
21 I don't mean huge and resource hungry tests. But why tell the
22 user that he should remove a file in /etc with einfo when it
23 doesn't even exist? (That's just an example)
24
25 Some ebuilds do this now, but most still broadcast (sometimes
26 huge) text floods.
27 --
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list