From: Ambroz Bizjak <ambrop7@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: oldnet scripts splitting out from OpenRC
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 23:15:47
1 I *really* hate those virtual dependencies that don't actually satisfy
2 a real dependency, and require manual choice-specific intervention by
3 the user anyway. For example, packages that build external kernel
4 modules tend to depend on virtual/kernel-sources. However, this
5 dependency doesn't make sure that a kernel is built and hence a module
6 can be built against it. The only thing it does is get in the way,
7 like when someone gets a kernel source outside of the package manager,
8 and has to use package.provided to make the package manager happy.
9
10 A virtual/network-provider package would have exactly the same
11 problem. You'd have to find all packages in portage which can serve as
12 network managers, and even after you do that, someone will be annoyed
13 because he uses something else. Masking unwanted network managers may
14 even be needed to work around intricacies in dependency resolution. I
15 think that a virtual only makes sense when there's some degree of
16 interchangeability, for example, a virtual for all network managers
17 which understand the standard Gentoo network configuration files. But
18 not a virtual for some generic service. We don't have a virtual for an
19 HTTP server or desktop environment, either (AFAIK).
20