From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Improve the security of the default profile
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2013 23:57:02
1 On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 19:08:57 -0400
2 "Rick \"Zero_Chaos\" Farina" <zerochaos@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Personally I think this would be a great stepping stone. If we add
5 > - -fstack-protector to 4.8.1 it will improve security (only a little I
6 > know) and give us an idea of what issues we may have. After a short
7 > enjoyment of fixing any issues which come up we could more to
8 > - -fstack-protector-strong in 4.9.
9
10 Okay it won't be available for 4.8.1. It's going to require a couple minor
11 glibc changes and a lot of testing. A bunch of packages stick workarounds
12 behind a hardened USE flag or do things like `filter-flags -fstack-protector`
13 which don't actually work (we have to patch the compiler, not just add it to
14 the default flags in the profiles or something). I need to check the
15 interactions with hardened's spec files. And I need to get 4.8.1 out the door
16 two weeks ago. Once we fix the fallout from the unmasking I'll get back to this.
17
18 I also want to make a comment on the implications of this change that people
19 may not have considered. Bugs caused by -fstack-protector can no longer be
20 just dismissed as unsupported, invalid, or assigned to the hardened team and
21 forgotten about. You will be expected to fix them, and `append-flags
22 -fno-stack-protector` is not an acceptable fix. You can't champion for more
23 secure defaults and then just disable them when they get in your way.
24
25 So does anyone have any objections to making -fstack-protector the default?
26 Now is the time to speak up.
30 (and for the record I've changed my mind and would like to see this go forward,
31 so please stop emailing me)
35 Ryan Hill psn: dirtyepic_sk
36 gcc-porting/toolchain/wxwidgets @ gentoo.org
37
38 47C3 6D62 4864 0E49 8E9E 7F92 ED38 BD49 957A 8463