From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New Working Group established to evaluate the stable tree
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 07:56:04
1 On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 12:05:43 +0800
2 Jason Zaman <jason@×××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 03:53:26PM +1200, Kent Fredric wrote:
5 > > On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 11:45:22 +0800
6 > > Jason Zaman <perfinion@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > IN_PROGRESS == we've put the fix in the git repo
9 > > > RESO/TESTREQ == new release and in ~arch
10 > >
11 > > TESTREQ was incidentally my first thought. Only needs me to study
12 > > how much that's already used and whether or not existing bugs with
13 > > that flag meet that description or not.
16 > > However, a distinction between IN_PROGRESS and RESO/TESTREQ is not
17 > > possible here, because "in git" means "You'll get it if you sync
18 > > >1h from now"
19 >
20 > Oh, I meant this is for our policy stuff. which is in
21 > hardened-refpolicy.git and then every few weeks we make a release and
22 > bump all the packages in sec-policy/selinux-*. For things that do not
23 > need an actual release we just skip INPROG and go straight to TESTREQ
24 > when we fix the ebuild in the tree.
25 >
26 > The important part to me is that RESO/FIXED should only mean fixed
27 > when the problem is fixed in the stable tree too. There has to be
28 > another state before FIXED that is for ~arch. If the package is not
29 > stable on any arch then of course it is FIXED as soon as ~arch is
30 > fixed.
31 >
32 > > IN_PROGRESS can thus only mean something about it being worked on
33 > > but not yet pushed to the main git repo. (ie: overlays, private
34 > > repos)
35 > >
36 > > But I would rather it part of the primary resolution path, not a
37 > > mere property of the resolution type.
38 > >
39 > > Because its easier to say:
40 > >
41 > > UNCONFIRMED -> CONFIRMED -> INPROGRESS -> INVCS -> STABLE
42 > >
43 > > Than
44 > >
45 > > UNCONFIRMED -> CONFIRMED -> INPROGRESS -> (RESOLVED/TESTREQ) ->
46 > > (RESOLVED/FIXED)
47 >
48 > They are roughly equivalent, yeah. But I prefer TESTREQ because its
49 > easier to see in the bug list page. You can of course choose which
50 > items are shown in the list in bugzilla but resolution is already
51 > there so no need to add an extra column.
52 >
53 > -- Jason
57 I have some trouble with not being able to close bugs as resolved when
58 the fixes have been released. But I do see that the majority of what is
59 being discussed relates to pkg ebuilds more than it does to coding
60 projects. In that sense it sounds reasonable. But for me, most of my
61 work is project coding, so it overlaps with making releases which
62 involves the ebuild. As a project coder, I want to be able to close a
63 bug when a release has been made that contains the fix. In some cases
64 that release might not get stabilized, but another one later does.
65
66 For me IN_PROGRESS means the problem is being worked on, not that a fix
67 has been posted/committed anywhere. INVCS is once the fix has been
68 committed to the source repo and not anything to do with an ebuild from
69 the coders perspective. The problem is the overlap of bugzilla for
70 both ebuild repositories and source repositories. So if there is any
71 changes to be made to the different states possible... Just remember
72 the the different perspectives and try to make it clear what they are
73 for. Also, if a pkg is never stabilized... does that mean it's bugs
74 can never be closed? So far in the discussion, that point has not been
75 brought up, but is very relevant to the discussion.
76
77 /me mumbles about the extra bookeeping that work-flow will
78 make...and subsequently put off and/or forget to do ;)
81 Brian Dolbec <dolsen>