From: Alice <alicef@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, "gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] GSoC 2021: Gentoo Accepted as mentor organization
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 11:41:27
1 Hello,
4 Also this year Gentoo as been accepted in the Google Summer of Code as a
5 mentor organization. We are looking for new project ideas and are always
6 open for new mentors.
7 Google Summer of Code is a big opportunity for making Gentoo project
8 more visible and get more people interested to join Gentoo and helping out.
9
10 1. Project ideas
11
12 GSoC projects should be suitable for 3 months worth of work for
13 a student, taking into account time required for students to get in
14 touch with the project, to learn some details, to fix mistakes and
15 make improvements. Most students are not yet seasoned developers,
16 so their coding rate will be likely slower than yours.
17
18 Usually projects are something more complicated than just writing
19 some ebuilds, however if non-trivial ebuild related work is
20 required, e.g. to write new eclasses and adapt existing packages to
21 use them (or add new ones), this should do too.
22
23 Ideas from previous years may be reused, but this should not be
24 abused, since Gentoo moves forward and we have new stuff to do.
25
26 If you have an idea, but can't be a mentor, please still tell us
27 about it, we'll try to find a mentor later.
28
29 Ideas should be put to our wiki: [1].
30 The page contains ideas adding howto.
31
32 2. Mentors
33
34 If you want to be a mentor, welcome! It is not necessary to be a
35 Gentoo developer in order to be a mentor, but project must be
36 Gentoo related.
37
38 Mentoring requires some time. It depends much on a student, but is
39 usually within 4-10 hours per week. If you don't have that much
40 time, but still want to help, you may become a backup mentor.
41 Students often have 2 mentors to eliminate bus factor and to
42 improve expertise in a project.
43
44 Please keep in mind that GSoC is not just about new code, but about
45 bringing new people to community and we have developers which where
46 GSoC students in the past. So time invested in students will result
47 not only in some problems solved, but into bringing new people to
48 our community and strengthening ties with existing participants.
49
50 Mentors should enlist themselves on the wiki: [2].
51
52 If you have any questions or proposals, feel free to reply to this
53 e-mail, or contact us via #gentoo-soc IRC channel on FreeNode[3],
54 or by writing to project's alias[4].
58 [1]https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2021/Ideas
59 [2]https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2021/Mentors
60 [3]http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=gentoo-soc