From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek.chauhan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: --as-needed to default LDFLAGS (Was: RFC: Should preserve-libs be enabled by default?)
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 03:15:14
1 On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 8:33 AM, Ciaran McCreesh
2 <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Sat, 31 May 2008 08:28:27 +0530
4 > "Nirbheek Chauhan" <nirbheek.chauhan@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> Fact: It can't be fixed easily and/or in a reasonable time-frame. Else
6 >> someone would've done it -- heck you could've fixed it.
7 >
8 > Untrue. The amount of effort that's been wasted messing around with
9 > as-needed could easily have been directed to fixing the root cause
10 > instead. Debian have already done most of the work.
11
12 And the time you just wasted spewing rhetoric on this thread? Since
13 you have such a deep understanding of everything, couldn't you have
14 done the rest of the work, posted it here and instantly convinced
15 everyone?
16
17 >> Fact: It works. Unlike your vapour-proposal to "fix libtool".
18 >
19 > But it doesn't work. And fixing libtool isn't vapour. Read the Debian
20 > patch.
21
22 Fixing libtool isn't vapour, neither is the debian patch, but your
23 plan/proposal to do is non-existant. You're just saying "Do this
24 because I say you should, I don't know how, but you should. Oh, and if
25 you don't you're all idiots".
26
27 >> Fact: Breakages are rare, code which causes it is discouraged anyway,
28 >> and is fixable in any case. We're not a standards organisation.
29 >
30 > You seriously think Gentoo has the manpower to go around making
31 > unnecessary changes to upstream code? And there's nothing in the C++
32 > standard discouraging static initialisation.
33
34 The tracker bug (bug 129413) seems to say otherwise.
35
36 >> Fact: It hasn't been done forever, and won't be done anytime soon.
37 >
38 > And the Debian patch is...?
39
40 Useless unless it's complete. As I said above, fix it and convince us.
41 Show us how wrong we are. We'll be glad and grateful. Don't whine
42 about it and waste everyone's time and energy.
46 ~Nirbheek Chauhan
47 --
48 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list