From: Bob Miller <kbob@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Be Careful of Your MAKEOPTS!!
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 12:31:46
1 Luke-Jr wrote:
2
3 > When you have 100 systems, you can probably have the main one do nothing but
4 > processing to send it out to the others... Or is that what you did?
5
6 Yes, that's what I did.
7
8 Let me describe it exactly.
9
10 I have two fast boxes. Each is a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 w/ hyperthreading,
11 2 GB RAM. I have one slow box. It's a Celeron 466 MHz w/ 512 MB RAM.
12 All run Gentoo, of course. All connected via 100 Mbit ethernet. I
13 built on the Celeron, with DISTCC_HOSTS set to "fast1/5 fast2/5". I
14 watched performance on all three boxes using gkrellm2. gkrellm showed
15 the Celeron 100% CPU bound for most of the build, and showed that the
16 fast boxes had very "jaggy" CPU utilization that averaged around
17 30-40% during the compilation phase. (By "jaggy" I mean that one
18 second would be 90% CPU, the next is 15%, the next is 100%, etc. It
19 appears that when the fast box gets a job, it finishes it in a second
20 or so and goes back to waiting.)
21
22 I guesstimated that the two fast boxes might have roughly 8-10X the
23 performance of the slow box. I could be off by a bit. I don't have a
24 large fleet of identical boxes to try this on.
27 Bob Miller K<bob>
28 kbobsoft software consulting
29 http://kbobsoft.com kbob@××××××××××.com
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list