From: Vano D <gentoo-dev@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Embedded
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 18:42:51
1 On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 19:02, david@×××××××××.com wrote:
2
3 > I have a script I put together that will 'emerge' packages into an
4 > alternate root using portage. My goal was a machine 'image' that I
5 > could stick in an embedded device, and if upgrades were needed I would
6 > upgrade the 'image' not individual packages.
7 > At the smallest so far, i put busybox+glibc+kernel in 50 megs(i know
8 > that's huge i compiled in locales and other junk), but right now I'm
9 > working on building a uclibc toolchain. And I should have that
10 > finished in about a week.
11
12 I would be very interested in seeing how you went about doing this. As I
13 understand you use a host gentoo installation to "emerge" packages into
14 a clean root. What I wonder is what that root contains? Do you start
15 with a skeleton? If so what? and finally do you use the bin package
16 feature portage provides to carry this out?
17
18 My eventual goal as I stated before is to have as lean/clean server
19 enviornment as possible and as a secondary consequence try to make
20 bootable CDs with custom selectable tools/apps.
21
22 Regarding the -doc flag... I wonder how many packages support it.
23
24 Cheers,
25
26 Vano.