From: Arcady Genkin <agenkin@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Ebuild indentation (tabs vs. spaces) fascism ;^)
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 17:17:04
1 Two questions:
2
3 1. What makes tabbed indentation in ebuilds so much better than
4 indentation with spaces? I know *plenty* of reasons *against* using
5 tab characters, but I must be missing something obvious, because I
6 know no reasons in favor of tabs.
7
8 2. Even if it turns out tabs are somehow better than spaces, why do
9 we want to be so fascist[1][2] about it? Why don't we let the ebuild
10 maintainer to decide which approach suits his philosophy, editor and
11 habits? We can still require that all indents are 4 spaces wide; I'm
12 only talking about tabs/spaces issue.
13
14 Footnotes:
15 [1] Talking about bulk force-tabbifying ebuilds.
16 [2] Please note the smiley in the subject line before you stone me
17 for my choice of words.
18 --
19 Arcady Genkin