From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Rust flags
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 16:09:38
1 On Tue, 14 May 2019 16:58:16 -0700 Georgy Yakovlev wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, May 14, 2019 3:01:48 PM PDT Andrew Savchenko wrote:
3 > > On Tue, 14 May 2019 11:47:04 -0700 Georgy Yakovlev wrote:
4 [...]
5 > > > I have this in make.conf for quite some time.
6 > > >
7 > > > RUSTFLAGS="-Ctarget-cpu=native -v"
8 > > >
9 > > > it just works(tm) as you expect it to.
10 > >
11 > > Well, it does not, at least for me. Right now I'm building
12 > > torbrowser from mozilla overlay and content of RUSTFLAGS from
13 > > make.conf doesn't show up in rustc arguments.
14 > >
15 > That's something about mozbuild, not the variable itself.
16 > check about:buildconfig page of torbrowser.
17 >
18 > RUSTFLAGS show up for me on that page, not 100% sure if they actually get
19 > applied.
20
21 Yes, they are showing up, though I don't see them applied in the
22 build log.
23
24 > I have no idea how it calls rustc. if it's cargo then to see verbose
25 > invocations you need to find where the build system calls it and add "-vv"
26 >
27 > btw, be careful with -C opt-level=3 for ff or derivatives, it was known to
28 > cause segfaults some time ago.
29 >
30 > for regular packages this variable works fine.
31 >
32 > > Moreover there is no mention of RUSTFLAGS in either man rustc or
33 > > rust/cargo eclasses.
34 >
35 > because it's a variable used by cargo to call rustc with given params, not by
36 > rustc itself.
37 >
38 > This has nothing to do with eclass, it's cargo setting supposed to be set by
39 > user.
40 >
41 > CARGO-RUSTC(1) page does mention it
42 >
43 > more details here:
44 > https://github.com/rust-lang/cargo/blob/master/src/doc/src/reference/
45 > environment-variables.md
46
47 Thanks, it indeed has it. I used to read man pages and man
48 cargo-rustc don't mention it, though github docs does.
49
50 Best regards,
51 Andrew Savchenko