From: Philip Walls <malverian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Portage local package revisions
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 14:30:39
1 On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 02:34:08PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 12:51:19 +0000 Philip Walls <malverian@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | This argument here can also be applied to the -r#.# solution you
5 > | mentioned, so I think the decision between -r#.# and -local# is really
6 > | just a matter of aesthetics. I'm on the fence as to which is best.
7 >
8 > The -r#.#.#.# solution is cleaner IMO. With -local# you'd still need to
9 > handle -local#.# or -local#-reallylocal-# to allow users to override
10 > overlays that override the main repository.
13 I have a feeling the above is a solution waiting for problem, but from
14 a flexibility standpoint I actually really like it :)
15
16 Adding this kind of revision number will convolute the version
17 comparison a bit, and the dep calculation will have to be patched to
18 allow this (currently it only allows for real floating point numbers).
19
20 I think we'll want to refactor the vercmp() so that there is a
21 separate function for comparing version numbers (eg. 1.5 vs. 1.100 vs.
22 1.02) which the revision comparison can use as well.
23
24 Thanks for the input.
25
26 > --