From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Review: desc/cpu_flags_x86.desc
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 23:35:44
1 On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 3:23 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > Dnia 2015-01-18, o godz. 15:15:22
3 > Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> napisał(a):
4 >
5 >> On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 12:44 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 >> > Hello,
7 >> >
8 >> > I would like to commit the following flags as cpu_flags_x86_desc.
9 >> > The list combines global USE flags with some local USE flags I've been
10 >> > able to find.
11 >> >
12 >> >
13 >> > 3dnow - Use the 3DNow! instruction set
14 >> > 3dnowext - Use the Enhanced 3DNow! instruction set
15 >> > aes-ni - Enable support for Intel's AES instruction set (aes in cpuinfo)
16 >> > avx - Adds support for Advanced Vector Extensions instructions
17 >> > avx2 - Adds support for Advanced Vector Extensions 2 instructions
18 >> > fma - Use the Fused Multiply Add instruction set
19 >>
20 >> There are fma3 and fma4 instruction sets. We need to determine which
21 >> one the packages that have this flag are actually using and name the
22 >> flag appropriately.
23 >
24 > Ok then:
25 >
26 > fma3 - Use the Fused Multiply Add v3 instruction set
27 > fma4 - Use the Fused Multiply Add v4 instruction set
28
29 They're not actually versions 3 and 4, like SSE. The number is the
30 number of arguments the instructions take.
31
32 I'd just remove the 'v' from the description and call it good.
33
34 See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FMA_instruction_set for more information.