From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] acceptable alternatives to -Werror, was: Changing policy about -Werror
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 22:41:30
1 Mike Auty schrieb:
2 >> Installation will proceed, but the user will get a big fat warning that
3 >> the sys-fs/zfs package is potentially broken.
4 >
5 > This seems like a sure-fire way to make users paranoid and/or
6 > desensitized? People will learn to ignore warnings if we make them big
7 > red and flashing but then say they're only potential breakages (and they
8 > subsequently discover that most everything runs fine). If they learn to
9 > ignore big red flashing warnings it'll be more difficult when they're
10 > not potential breakages but actual ones we've accurately identified...
11
12 Maybe "big fat warning" was a bit of an overstatement. I meant the same kind
13 of notice that @preserved-rebuild set produces today. Or the "configuration
14 files need updating" message.
15
16 Much like the aforementioned, the affected package might continue to work
17 totally fine, or be broken in subtle ways. It might bother the user enough to
18 report a bug, but hopefully not enough to turn them away from Gentoo.
19
20 Best regards,
21 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn