From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Policy regarding the inactive members
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 13:18:27
1 Hello folks,
2
3 Looking through the Council project page, the policy regarding the inactive
4 council members doesn't look optimal to me
5
6 "To ensure that the council stays active, the chosen metastructure model says
7 that if a council member (or their appointed proxy) fails to show up for two
8 consecutive meetings, they are marked as a slacker."
9
10 So the attendance to council meetings is enough to prove that a member is
11 active? 0_o
12
13 How about the participation to the discussions which took place every day on
14 our mailing lists or in IRC? I guess not since we need to explicitly bring
15 each issue to the meeting so council can talk about it. So it is ok to discuss
16 and decide on a topic without knowning all the previous discussion which took
17 place on the mailing list. Because I really doubt that *all* council members
18 are reading the mailing list in daily basis so they get to know everything
19 that is going on to Gentoo.
20
21 The role of the council is the following one:
22
23 "The elected Gentoo Council decides on global issues and policies that affect
24 multiple projects in Gentoo"
25
26 I am not sure that everybody is aware of the councils' role. The only council
27 members who look active to me are Petteri and Denis. We miss 5 more people but
28 I am pretty sure they will be present to the next meeting hence they will be
29 considered as "active members". This is why the current policy looks wrong to
30 me.
31
32 A stricter rule should apply and clearly define when a council members is
33 slacking and hence it has to be substituted immediately. Council is the core
34 project of Gentoo ( at least it should be ) and it cannot afford inactive
35 members.
36
37 And because talk is cheap and we already burned our keyboards out the last few
38 days here is my proposal:
39
40 A council member is inactive when:
41
42 1) He is inactive in critical discussions ( such as the whole Phoenix
43 discussion ) for a certain period of time
44 2) Fails to accomplish his role by supervising the Gentoo projects. Remember
45 we have plenty of Gentoo projects nearly dead and there is no way for us to
46 participate since contacting the project leaders is a no-go. Indirect
47 question: Is the council aware of the status of all projects? Shouldn't it be
48 since he is responsible for them?
49 3) Fails to attend the meetings. But this should be the last proof of their
50 activity
51 4) ...
52
53 If a council member is declared "inactive" then it will be substituted by the
54 next non-elected member.
57 Please, tell me exactly what does the "global issues and policies that affect
58 multiple projects in Gentoo" means. What is your current role and ? It seems
59 quite abstract to me so I am requesting you to elaborate.
60
61 I feel sorry to admit that the current council failed to become a good leader
62 for Gentoo and his inactivity demotivates both users and developers[1][2] [
63 etc etc ]
64
65 [1] https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-822041.html
66 [2] http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-
67 dev/msg_bc884b5ec61a159a6c15323b2a67965c.xml
70 Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
71 Gentoo Linux Developer
72 Web: http://hwoarang.silverarrow.org