From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 55 (why use filename extension?)
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 07:35:11
1 On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 11:25:50 +0400
2 Peter Volkov <pva@g.o> wrote:
3 > If you need eapi in file name what are the technical reasons of
4 > putting it into file name extension? Why don't you suggest better
5 > ebuild name like:
6 >
7 > pkg-ver-eapi.ebuild or pkg-eapi-ver.ebuild ?
8
9 a) breaks current package managers
10 b) has no unambiguous parsing
11 c) looks confusing. pkg-1.2.3-1.ebuild or pkg-1-1.2.3.ebuild look a lot
12 like Debian-style foo-1.2-3 versions...
13
14 > I remember last time I've asked this genone told me that this is not
15 > backward compatible. Ok, it's not, but what's the problem to change
16 > extension once only for this change?
17
18 It means next time we want to introduce another backward incompatible
19 change, we have to go through the whole mess all over again.
22 Ciaran McCreesh