From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: How a proper server profile should look like
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 12:09:51
1 On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 2:22 AM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 22 January 2013 03:28, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 12:51 PM, Dustin C. Hatch <admiralnemo@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> The package defaults have gotten out of hand, in my opinion. I use
5 >>> default/linux/amd64/10.0 on all my machines and my /etc/portage/package.use
6 >>> directories have dozens of -flag entries for packages with ridiculous
7 >>> defaults, and almost none that come from the profile. I'm considering
8 >>> removing pkginternal from USE_ORDER.
9 >>
10 >> And this is the problem with having the default profile be really
11 >> minimal. It just moves the problem into per-package defaults that are
12 >> much more painful to override.
13 >
14 > No offense, but that's nonsense. You override it the exact same way.
17 Indeed, you're correct. It is not necessary to do what Dustin
18 suggested to disable package use-defaults - if you set -foo in
19 make.conf it will apply to all packages even if it is a use-default.
20
21 Rich