From: David Seifert <soap@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: alpha@g.o, gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Dropping alpha keywords to unstable
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 11:14:11
1 On Wed, 2020-01-15 at 21:47 -0800, Matt Turner wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > It makes me a bit sad to say, having helped maintain Gentoo's DEC
5 > Alpha
6 > port for more than 10 years, that I think it is time to drop our
7 > stable
8 > keywords to ~alpha.
9 >
10 > Stable testing is a valuable service we provide to users. Time
11 > invested
12 > by developers during stabilization has the potential to pay dividends
14 > users multiple times over.
15 >
16 > But the presumption in that statement is that the number of users
17 > meaningfully greater than the number of developers. I no longer
18 > believe
19 > this is the case for Alpha.
20 >
21 > As a result, I don't think it's a good use of my time to perform
22 > stable
23 > testing on alpha.
24 >
25 > I plan to keep the profiles "stable" (meaning no depgraph breakages)
26 > but
27 > to change to ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~alpha".
28 >
29 > Thoughts?
30 >
31 > Matt
32
33 Thanks Matt, this will also help developers in cleaning up their
34 packages. I highly support this move.