From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kdegraphics failure on libungif
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 20:07:28
1 begin quote
2 On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:50:50 -0600
3 Tom Syroid <tom@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
4
5 > Anyone need some extra hair? I have a small pile on the floor beside
6 > me you're welcome to ;-)
7 >
8 > As the subject notes, I'm trying to get kdegraphics 3.1.3 to build;
9 > keeps failing on what appears to be a make command to kuickshow.la.
10 > Not familiar with the programmatical aspects of building KDE, but it
11 > appears to be failing on "/usr/lib/libungif.la" -- not found.
12 >
13 > I'm also not terribly familiar with the nuances of bugs.gentoo.org. I
14 > did do a search on the error and came up bare, which probably has
15 > something to do with my search skills more than anything else...
18 > Mmm. Advice and guidance much appreciated.
21 okay, theres a simple fix and an explination here.
22
23 fix:
24 emerge ungif kdegraphics
27 explination :
28 some time in the past something linked against libungif (from the
29 ungif package) and was thereby reported in the .la files that contain
30 information about linking.
31 Now, at some point libungif was removed or perhaps updated, but the
32 programs that built against libungif weren't rebuilt, so they are not
33 aware of this change in issues.
34
35 this then led to them pointing at nonexistant files. When kdegraphics
36 now tries to use theese working packages, they can't find libungif..
37
38 and break.
41 To find the source, grep libungif /usr/lib/*.la
42 trace theese down one at the time and rebuild in order of dependency
43 to libungif.. That should nicely eradicate all trails of libungif you
44 may have.
48 //Spider
52 begin .signature
53 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
55 end