From: Peter Johanson <latexer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] calling all orinoco users!
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 00:59:45
1 calling all orinoco users!
2
3 i've been hacking away on the orinoco drivers, and i finally have things
4 jiving between the orinoco patch to bring the drivers up to wireless
5 extension v14 (and add scan support) and the monitor mode patch we all
6 know and love from shmoo.com
7
8 here's what i need: testers!
9
10 there's an ebuild up at
11 http://cvs.gentoo.org/~latexer/files/pcmcia-cs-3.2.4-r1.ebuild
12
13 which includes the latest orinoco-0.13d driver (as well as using cvs to
14 get the latest airo-linux drivers) along with these patches. please
15 test this by putting this in /usr/portage/sys-apps/pcmcia-cs/ (if you
16 put it in your portage overlay, you need to move some stuff from the
17 files/ directory to there) and install it. the two things you can now do
18 are:
19
20 gonzo root # iwlist scan
21 lo Interface doesn't support scanning : Operation not supported
22
23 eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning : Operation not supported
24
25 eth1 Scan completed :
26 Cell 01 - Address: 00:40:96:32:CD:05
27 ESSID:"SternOntheMove"
28 Mode:Managed
29 Frequency:2.462GHz
30 Quality:192/92 Signal level:-65 dBm Noise level:-92 dBm
31 Encryption key:on
32 Cell 02 - Address: 00:40:96:41:63:22 ESSID:"SternOntheMove"
33 Mode:Managed
34 Frequency:2.437GHz
35 Quality:32/92
36 Signal level:-83 dBm Noise level:-95 dBm
37 Encryption key:on
38
39 gonzo root # iwpriv eth1 monitor 1 6
40
41 </snip>
42
43 the scanning ability is the way things really should be, so that we can
44 have *easy* configure scripts for wireless. e.g. do a scan, see what's
45 available from a preconfigured list of APs and keys, and pick the
46 strongest one. how nice would that be?
47
48 give this a whack and send me feedback/problems (need to test different
49 firmwares, etc.)
50
51 -latexer
54 Peter Johanson