From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: spams@×××××××××××××××××××××××××.uk
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What is classified as a "blocker" bug?
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 18:34:23
1 On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 06:58:33PM +0100, Phil Richards wrote:
2 > I try to make sure that when I file a bug on bugs.gentoo.org
3 > that I set an "appropriate" severity.
4 >
5 > Recently, I tried to emerge glademm with gcc 3.3.1 and it
6 > failed to compile. I felt that given the description of
7 > severities in the bugzilla:
8 >
9 > Blocker Blocks development and/or testing work
10 > Critical crashes, loss of data, severe memory leak
11 > Major major loss of function
12 > Minor minor loss of function, or other problem
13 > where easy workaround is present
14 > Trivial cosmetic problem like misspelled words
15 > or misaligned text
16 > Enhancement Request for enhancement
17 >
18 > then the appropriate severity is "Blocker".
19 >
20 > Clearly, I was wrong because it got downgraded to a "major" -
21 > I suspect that this was because I gave a hacky workaround.
22 >
23 > Fair enough. But could somebody please clarify what the
24 > severities *really* mean? Preferably on bugzilla itself.
25 > (Given the above descriptions, I would have expected a
26 > downgrade based on having a workaround to be "minor", so
27 > I'm doubly confused.)
28 >
29 > I don't actually care what severity is used - but I do like
30 > to get the right one. Or should I just not bother setting
31 > it in future?
34 I, personally, usually use blocker only for very serious issues that
35 could potentially, say, break someone's system to the point of being
36 unbootable. (That's not the only case where I use it, it's just a decent
37 example).
38
39 In general, don't take it too seriously. We use it as a way to
40 categorize what our priorities are based on what other bugs we have.
43 Jon Portnoy
44 avenj/irc.freenode.net
47 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list