From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing PMS to Portage Manager Specification
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 18:44:00
1 Alexander Berntsen wrote:
2 > While the PMS perhaps hasn't been an unequivocal success, it's still a
3 > good effort with some success. I would be disappointed to see the
4 > proposed change, and view it as a bad sign for Gentoo.
5
6 As far as technical documentation about how ebuilds work (the core of
7 Gentoo, but also many other distributions; I have created several of
8 my own), PMS is an absolutely amazing document!
9
10 It comes down to whether Gentoo is a "meta-distribution" with
11 absolutely amazing generic tooling (including portage), or "simply" a
12 source-based distribution with an arbitrary package format.
13
14 PMS has tremendous value, and yes, EAPI is a process, and I am sure
15 that portage developers gnash their teeth at blockers stemming from
16 PMS, but I wholeheartedly believe that Gentoo, PMS and Portage are
17 all better off for it.
18
19 Without knowing specifics I guess I would suggest to the original
20 poster to create new tooling for the job that needs to be done. Maybe
21 even a fork of portage, at first only used in your (derivative)
22 Gentoo distribution? Just my idea for a possible solution.
25 //Peter