From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage 1.8.1 released
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 10:28:11
1 On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 10:55:01AM +0200, Dan Armak wrote:
2 > > For really large packages it might be nice if we did diff's and uploaded
3 > > to ibiblio.
4 > I'm probably dreaming here, but maybe we coud have some diff auto-generating
5 > system, which could provide a diff between any two versions, like cvs does.
6 > But that's far in the future, if it happens at all.
7
8 I agree here. All developers should use complete sources, and we should work
9 towards creating a more generic solution to this problem. With a bit of
10 Portage glue, a user with linux-2.4.16.tar.bz2 on his hard drive can have
11 Portage auto-download a patch, and then *create* linux-2.4.17.tar.bz2 for him.
12 If this is done correctly, the md5's will be the same and developers can always
13 use the full version of the archive rather than a patch in their ebuilds.
14
15 Best Regards,
18 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
19 Chief Architect/President http://www.gentoo.org