From: Caleb Tennis <caleb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Allen Parker <allenp@×××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] creating ebuilds
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 14:57:10
1 On Tuesday 06 January 2004 09:13 am, Allen Parker wrote:
2 > I think I should definitely re-state my *ideal* system for ebuild
3 > submission, since it wasn't understood. Bugzilla is great, I agree, but
4 > it's for *bugs* and as was said earlier, if a dev isn't interested in an
5 > ebuild, it's not going into the tree. Here's the process that I suggest,
6
7 Your idea of having a separate system for ebuild submission is a fine one and
8 it has its merits. The only drawback is "who is going to do it?".
9
10 There's a bit of a process required here - it needs to be thought out, drawn
11 up, talked about, thought about some more, then implemented. That's an
12 impetus that most people don't want to deal with. If you're willing to do
13 all of those things, and it presents a great solution to the problem, I see
14 no reason why it wouldn't get used.
15
16 It's just important to remember that developer or not, we're all volunteers
17 and we're all human. This isn't directed at you, but from my experience as a
18 developer the comments I hear the most often are: "Gentoo needs xxxx" or
19 "xxxx doesn't work so someone needs to fix it". After a while, you tend to
20 dole back a canned "put your money where you mouth is" response.
21
22 In summary, if you have a good idea for this, GLEP it.
23 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep. Then be prepared for what comes next. :)
24
25 Caleb
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list