From: Lauri Pesonen <lauri.pesonen@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Installation and URIs
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 13:12:50
1 Hi guys,
2
3 I just finished my first Gentoo Linux installation. Here's a couple of
4 points that came to mind during the installation:
5
6 1. bootstrap.sh should honour the GENTOO_MIRRORS setting in
7 /etc/make.conf. I have a cable modem and my cable provider does not have
8 very good connections to the USA (In in Finland myself). The connection is
9 even more lousy during the evenings when I tried to do my install. The
10 result was that the transfer rate was somewhere around 5KBps and
11 downloading all the stuff required for the bootstrap was a pain. I
12 eventually let the box run through the night working on the bootstrap. So
13 it would have been nice if I could have used cfx5.tgv.net instead of
14 www.ibiblio.org since the french server could provide me with 500KBps.
15
16 2. emerge seems to handle configured URIs wrong when downloading a number
17 of packets for one installation. I was installing XFree. First emerge
18 downloaded XF410-src1.tgz (or something similar) from cfx5.tgv.net. After
19 that it tried to download XF410-src2.tgz, but it used the next URI in the
20 list (sourceforge.net) rather than cfx5.tgv.net. So I interrupted it and
21 ran emerge again. Again emerge started with cfx5, but after the first
22 tarball it moved to another URI again. The same happened with all the
23 other tarballs as well. Sorry fot not looking into the source and figuring
24 out a fix, but I'm not so fluent with python.
25
26 Otherwise I've been really impressed with Gentoo Linux! Keep up the good
27 work!
28
29 BR, Lauri Pesonen