From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Deleting old news items
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2018 21:17:05
1 On Fri, Jan 05, 2018 at 09:01:26AM -0500, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 5:08 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3 > > > + In news item format ``>2.0``, this field is mandatory.
4 > >
5 > > I think it should not be mandatory, for the purpose of the tools
6 > > dealing with news items. So I'd simply say here: "Only in news item
7 > > format 2.1 or later."
10 > My concern is that if it isn't mandatory; we will end up with the same
11 > problem.
12 >
13 > No one will set expiry headers on their items and we will be forced to go
14 > back and update old news items to add them once
15 > there are too many items (today's state.)
16 >
17 > Alternatively we could simply state amend the glep to have a default expiry
18 > (say 3y) and if no expires header is present we consume the Posted header
19 > for this purpose.
20
21 If we have a default expiration, it should be one year after the date
22 posted to go along with our current policy of not supporting things that
23 are older than a year.
24
25 William