From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Martin Schipany <elcondor+gentoo@×××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ufed / USE-Flags Grouping Suggestion
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 14:05:47
1 On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 09:58, Martin Schipany wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > I've been using gentoo exclusively for over 2 years, and saw the number
5 > of USE-flags growing up to about 530 today. It is becoming more and more
6 > difficult to find the important and/or interesting ones.
7 >
8 > IMHO it would make sense to group them, for example a group "Local
9 > Flags" would be fine (especially on server where you don't need them),
10 > or "Hardware related" for supporting special features in this case.
11 >
12 > I know this is very rather "blurry" approach, but in the next months
13 > with upcoming packages the useflaglist will grow up to a thousand
14 > perhaps .. even more? And checking these takes a lot of time.
15 >
16 > an additional idea for ufed: maybe a "text area" with more lines or even
17 > a scrolling option would be fine for the explanation of the flags.
18 > currently 180 char wide terminal is needed to be able to read the
19 > longest one - and thinking of setting up a server with 80x25 I have to
20 > guess what flags to take ..
21
22 This idea was posted a few days ago already. It isn't exactly the best
23 way to fix anything. In fact, all it really would do is mask the real
24 problem.
25
26 Also, what's wrong with reading /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc anyway?
27
28 I guess I just don't understand the fascination with ufed since I have
29 never used it.
32 Chris Gianelloni
33 Developer
34 Games/LiveCD Teams