From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New local use flag for arts: artswrappersuid
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 07:50:06
1 On Saturday 17 May 2003 02:18, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2003-05-17 at 00:43, Dan Armak wrote:
3 > > Hello everyone,
4 > >
5 > > I'm adding a new local use flag for kde-base/arts: artswrappersuid. It
6 > > sets artswrapper suid root, which allows artsd (kde's sound server) to
7 > > run with realtime priority and avoid skips and clicks, but it's a
8 > > security hazard, so it's off by default.
9 >
10 > Dan, isn't this something that the admin should set for himself ?
11 > I mean, just adding a USE flag for that, even when local do sound
12 > a bit excessive ....
13
14 Well, isn't whoever emerges KDE (and thus has root perms) the admin of the
15 box? So now he can do USE=artswrappersuid instead of running chmod +s
16 manually. The important difference is that you can set the use flag once in
17 make.conf and forget about it. In my experience, after emerging a new kde I
18 usually forget to do the chmod manually, start the new kde, get a warning
19 about no realtime permissions, chmod and restart.
22 Dan Armak
23 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
24 Matan, Israel
25 Public GPG key: http://cvs.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key