From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New local use flag for arts: artswrappersuid
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 07:50:06
On Saturday 17 May 2003 02:18, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-05-17 at 00:43, Dan Armak wrote: > > Hello everyone, > > > > I'm adding a new local use flag for kde-base/arts: artswrappersuid. It > > sets artswrapper suid root, which allows artsd (kde's sound server) to > > run with realtime priority and avoid skips and clicks, but it's a > > security hazard, so it's off by default. > > Dan, isn't this something that the admin should set for himself ? > I mean, just adding a USE flag for that, even when local do sound > a bit excessive ....
Well, isn't whoever emerges KDE (and thus has root perms) the admin of the box? So now he can do USE=artswrappersuid instead of running chmod +s manually. The important difference is that you can set the use flag once in make.conf and forget about it. In my experience, after emerging a new kde I usually forget to do the chmod manually, start the new kde, get a warning about no realtime permissions, chmod and restart. -- Dan Armak Gentoo Linux developer (KDE) Matan, Israel Public GPG key:

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] New local use flag for arts: artswrappersuid Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>