From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: Ryan Finnie <gentoo-dev@×××××××.com>, Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo ~arch testing policy?
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 08:22:28
1 On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 11:42:56PM -0800, Ryan Finnie wrote:
2 > I'm still trying to figure out the reasoning behind this. If the idea
3 > is to not leave tickets open, what about the other 4758 open tickets?
4 > I would consider the most logical procedure for testing to be:
5 > 1. Version bump (or whatever reason), new version committed to cvs as
6 > ~arch.
7 > 2. User tests new version, opens a bug and reports success (or lack
8 > thereof).
9 > 3. More users test, commenting on original bug #.
10 > 4. If enough people report success (or enough time goes by after
11 > initial verification), ebuild is marked stable and bug is closed.
12 >
13 > I can't find any documentation of a process here, but this is what I
14 > gather:
15 > 1. Version bump (or whatever reason), new version committed to cvs as
16 > ~arch.
17 > 2. Somebody with cvs commit access stumbles on the ebuild sometime in
18 > the future, checks bugzilla, sees no problems submitted, and marks
19 > stable.
20 It is documented:
21 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/policy.xml
22 under 'Moving package versions from ~ARCH to ARCH'
25 When a package version has proved stable for sufficient time and the
26 Gentoo maintainer of the package is confident that the upgrade will not
27 break a regular Gentoo user's machine, then it can be moved from ~ARCH
28 to ARCH. An indication of the package's stability would be no verified
29 or unresolved bug report for a month after the version's introduction.
30
31 For your case submitted that it works 1 day after the ebuild was placed
32 into the tree, that is not nearly enough time for it to be thoroughly
33 tested. Please also bear in mind that the developers keep some things in
34 ~arch for other reasons than just stability or time, such as testing
35 specific features.
36
37 To re-iterate, it is not an 'OR' relation (as your item number 4) but
38 rather an 'AND' relation. In tree sufficent time AND no problems
39 reported.
42 Robin Hugh Johnson
43 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
44 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
45 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
46 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85