From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] How to deal with defunct projects (whose purpose makes sense)?
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 14:53:48
1 Hello,
2
3 In context of the recent plan of disbanding the Samba team, I'd like to
4 ask for better ideas on how to deal with projects that technically make
5 sense but are currently dead/defunct. This means that either they have
6 no members, all their members are inactive or simply don't want to work
7 on the specific project anymore.
8
9 Of course, the first step is to look for new project members. However,
10 let's assume we've already done that and unsuccessfully. What should
11 happen next?
12
13 So far I've been leaning towards disbanding the project and moving
14 packages to maintainer-needed. This has the advantage of clearly
15 indicating that those packages are unmaintained, with all the common
16 implications of that.
17
18 However, it also has been pointed out that this frequently 'ungroups'
19 packages while being maintained by a single project makes sense for
20 them. I don't really have a strong opinion on this -- especially that
21 sometimes this actually helped people decide to take at least some of
22 the packages. On the other hand, Ada is an example of project that has
23 been recreated after being disbanded.
24
25 Do you have any suggestions how we could effectively achieve the effect
26 similar to 'maintainer-needed' without disbanding projects?
29 Best regards,
30 Michał Górny