From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: news item for upower
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 11:47:44
1 On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 07:29:17 +0300
2 Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
5 > On 04/06/14 07:11, Samuli Suominen wrote:
6 > > I'm just expecting more from our users. I don't think the news items
7 > > were ever designed for simplistic things like this.
8 >
9 > As in, GLEP 42 Critical News Item != Learning tool for understanding
10 > Portage output
11
12 The point of writing it up for others to learn from is the
13 deduplication of the effort. Instead of having everyone stare blankly
14 at arcane messages, they'll recognise it and know what to do. Much like
15 with stabilisation bugs where (again) untargeted dependencies where
16 every arch developer individually sits staring blankly (and increasingly
17 furiously, if that's even possible) at the errors that repoman
18 unexpectedly spits out.
19
20 The point is giving that information saves everyone after you the time
21 to figure out how to resolve the issue. Thanks!
24 jer