From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 16:24:01
1 On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 16:09 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Wed, 17 May 2006 10:57:55 -0400 Chris Gianelloni
3 > <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
4 > | On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 12:04 +0200, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
5 > | > - It would be greatly beneficial if paludis would create and
6 > | > use .tbz2 packages, but this is not essential.
7 > |
8 > | It *is* essential if paludis were to ever be used for release
9 > | building. Otherwise, it isn't required.
10 >
11 > No, support for *some* kind of binary package format is necessary.
12 > Support for Portage .tbz2 packages is pointless.
13
14 I'm sorry, but please don't tell me how things work within my project
15 when you either don't have a clue, which I know isn't the case, or are
16 simply ignoring the facts to match what you want to believe.
17
18 We ship .tbz2 files on our GRP release media.
19
20 Until we either:
21
22 a) stop shipping .tbz2 files
23
24 -or-
25
26 b) switch to paludis support only
27
28 The Gentoo release media can *not* be built with Paludis, as it does not
29 have support for *all* of the portions of the release media that we
30 currently build. This is a simple fact that cannot be disputed. You
31 can build *portions* of a release, but not the entire thing. Also, with
32 an incompatible VDB, the point is moot, anyway, as all of the release
33 building tools currently require a portage-compatible VDB.
34
35 I've been only pointing out things that I consider from a technical or
36 policy basis. Please don't go around trying to make it out like I'm
37 wrong about a process that *I* determine, just to make your package
38 manager look better.
39
40 It can *not* be used to build a Gentoo release at this time.
41
42 You will notice that *nowhere* did I say anything about this being any
43 kind of blocker for paludis being in the tree, or any paludis profiles,
44 only that it is a blocker for it ever being used for building our
45 releases, without us deciding to change *what* we release.
48 Chris Gianelloni
49 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
50 x86 Architecture Team
51 Games - Developer