From: "Robin H.Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] apache.eclass proposed
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 06:01:34
1 On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 11:07:49PM -0400, Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > > > I agree that having this would be worthwhile, however it has been said
3 > > > higher up before that /home/httpd/htdocs would be where things were
4 > > > installed.
5 > What about the users that are changing there default DocumentRoot's?
6 > Are we to ignore that completly and install to /home/httpd/htdocs
7 > anyway?
8 I believe that would be a better solution than looking for the
9 DocumentRoot they have set. As an example, I run a couple of webservers
10 at work. Their DocumentRoot is /var/www, which is a read-only NFS mount.
11
12 I'd venture that those users than change the DocumentRoot are doing so
13 for a very specific reason.
14
15 One further thing with the DocumentRoot issue. Say I have two systems
16 that share binary packages, but they have different DocumentRoot
17 settings. I create the binary tbz2 on the first system, and it packages
18 everything up with the first path, say /home/httpd/htdocs. Then I want
19 to also install on the second system, which has a DocumentRoot of
20 /var/www. The files would still be installed to /home/httpd/htdocs,
21 defeating the purpose of your check for the DocumentRoot setting.
22
23 What I do on my systems presently, (that don't have DocumentRoot as a RO
24 nfs mount in /var/www) is let all ebuilds install to the
25 /home/httpd/htdocs, and then symlink them into my own DocumentRoot
26 location.
27
28 On the same note with DocumentRoot, having Apache installed explictly
29 implies a User of 'apache' and Group 'apache' existing. Rather than any
30 magic on this, lets install all default packages with that uid and gid,
31 and instead work on keeping that secure. If users change the User and
32 Group setting in Apache again, they usually have a _very_ good reason
33 for doing so, and so should be able to deal with the concequences
34 themselves.
35
36 > > > A few problems with this.
37 > > > 1. What about people that have both installed? I actually have an open
38 > > > bug for mod_php about this, and I'm trying to decide on a workable
39 > > > solution. Presently I'm leaning towards an enviroment variable
40 > > > 'FORCE_APACHE=1|2' that overrides any detection routines, for the
41 > > > special case of people that have both.
42 > Such and enviroment variable would make things quite less complex.
43 Ok, could we possibly come up with something that everybody can agree
44 on, and then use that everywhere.
45
46 > > This is what the apache2 use variable is supposed to do. At least, as far as I
47 > > know.
48 > It does not behave this way for me, try USE=-apache2 with KEYWORDS=~x86
49 > while wanting to keep an apache2 from getting installed.
50 The apache1/2 stuff on ~x86 is a mess, I strongly agree there.
51 I'd really like it if apache1 just went away, but I see some users want
52 it for various reasons.
53
54 > Aparently the apache2 use flag was introduced to break the tie if both
55 > apache 1 and apache 2 were installed but very few people are using it
56 > correctly though, thus the need for these things to be addressed by an
57 > eclass vrs everybodys the ebuilds themselfs.
58 Having both installed simultaneously is a very messy business already,
59 as they both use /home/httpd, and contain binaries with identical names.
62 Robin Hugh Johnson
63 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
64 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
65 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
66 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85