From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] call for testers: udev predictable network interface names
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 23:09:07
1 On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 1:58 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
2 > And it's not udev that could rename the interface (hint, it wouldn't),
3 > it's the kernel, it _never_ guarantees the same interface "name" every
4 > time you boot. You might just be getting lucky, but really, PCI busses
5 > can be enumerated in different ways, USB devices can come and go and
6 > initialize sometimes slower one boot from another, and lots of other
7 > things can happen.
8
9 Not that anybody is taking requests, but it would be really handy if
10 serial ports were deterministically labeled.
11
12 I ended up having to hack my udev rules to hard-code a symlink a USB
13 serial device to a specific hardware USB port. It has broken once or
14 twice over the years, but has otherwise been reliable. Otherwise, if
15 you have more than one USB serial interface there is no way to know
16 which one will end up with what minor number, which is a bummer if
17 they aren't hooked up to the same thing.
18
19 Rich