From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC about another *DEPEND variable
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 14:58:19
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Thursday 21 September 2006 10:14, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 >> Not adding it into the ebuild means that it's impossible to show in
4 >> advance what packages will actually be installed, because you don't know
5 >> whether the sover will bump.
6 >
7 > sometimes you dont know as the ABI bump may be arch or feature specific ...
8 > pathological case i agree ;)
9 >
10 > you would certainly know between the time you merge the new one and unmerge
11 > the old one though ... but now we tread into the territory of "portage should
12 > not unmerge ABI libraries until all consumers have been destroyed" which is
13 > better than the current craptastic situation of "you gotta revdep-rebuild
14 > after the fact with a broken system"
15
16 Yes, I agree with you. For example, take expat. The maintainers have
17 refused to allow both versions to exist simultaneously on a system
18 because it apparently causes more breakage than just breaking every app
19 on your system by removing .so.0.
20
21 Thanks,
22 Donnie