From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Let's redesign the entire filesystem!
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 12:28:17
1 On 03/14/2012 20:45, Zac Medico wrote:
2
3 > On 03/14/2012 05:36 PM, David Leverton wrote:
4 >> On 14 March 2012 23:47, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
5 >>> It's more about what we're _not_ doing that what we're doing.
6 >>
7 >> Clearly something must have changed in udev 181 to make
8 >> /usr-without-initramfs not work anymore, and someone must have done
9 >> something to make that change happen, unless udev has aquired the
10 >> ability to evolve by itself.
11 >
12 > You're pointing your finger at udev, but the udev change is just a
13 > symptom of a more general shift away from supporting the "/ is a
14 > self-contained boot disk that is independent of /usr" use case.
17 I think it's better to say that udev is one of the more important components
18 of your average Linux system that's decided to support a unified root + /usr
19 filesystem. If we were looking at some non-critical, non-boot service that
20 made this decision, then we wouldn't be having this discussion.
23 Joshua Kinard
24 Gentoo/MIPS
25 kumba@g.o
26 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
27
28 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
29 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
30
31 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic