From: David Seifert <soap@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: pr@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item: sys-libs/db old SLOT removal
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 07:53:21
1 On Wed, 2021-05-26 at 16:09 -0700, Patrick McLean wrote:
2 > On Thu, 27 May 2021 00:41:23 +0200
3 > David Seifert <soap@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > The old Berkeley DB slots need to go at this point. The Base Project
6 > > has
7 > > decided to consider BDB a deprecated database backend, and we'll
8 > > slowly
9 > > be working towards a (possibly) BDB-free ::gentoo some time in the
10 > > long-
11 > > term future.
12 >
13 > I think we should keep at least one non AGPLv3 berkdb in the tree as
14 > long
15 > as we have any packages that unconditionally depend on it. June 1st is
16 > too short a time frame for masking pre AGPLv3 berkdb versions. I think
17 > it
18 > is reasonable to fix packages that either force berkdb USE flags on in
19 > their
20 > deps, or have a hard dep (either by updating/fixing or last-rite).
21
22 Have you looked at which versions will remain in the tree? Slots 4.8 and
23 5.3 are non-AGPL, and given the number of projects unlikely to support
24 >=6, it's unlikely that 5.3 will ever go away.
25
26 > > Other distros such as Fedora have started a gradual phase-out of
27 > > Berkeley DB too, given Oracle's strong-armed approach to community
28 > > input and their arguably hostile switch to the AGPLv3
29 > > ( https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Libdb_deprecated).
30 > > Furthermore,
31 > > Oracle is known to remove critical features from BDB in patch
32 > > releases,
33 > > such as the removal of the client-server architecture and the SQL
34 > > API
35 > > between 18.1.32 and 18.1.40.
36 >
37 > Gradual phase-out is also the approach we should take. Dropping non
38 > AGPLv3 version sort of immediately forces the issue for users that
39 > can't or won't accept that license.
40
41 Again, the premise of this argument is wrong (see above), so I won't go
42 into more detail here.
43
44 > > To this end, we will also be removing USE="berkdb" from
45 > > profiles/default/linux/make.defaults. If you implicitly depend on
46 > > profiles enabling optional use of sys-libs/db, you will need to
47 > > enable
48 > > this USE flag yourself, beginning 1st June.
49 > >
50 > > From here on, you should be working under the assumption that the
51 > > sys-libs/db package will be gone from the Gentoo repository within
52 > > **two years** from the time of this news item. If you depend on BDB
53 > > in
54 > > a production environment, we strongly suggest you move to one of the
55 > > modern replacements, such as GDBM, SQLite or LMDB.
56 >
57 > This makes sense for end users, but we should fix ::gentoo before we
58 > force it on our users.
59
60 This is a message to users, obviously we won't just randomly delete the
61 ebuilds unless ::gentoo is fixed. This is about managing expectations
62 for users, not an internal TODO list for gentoo developers.