From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: moving OpenRC to a meson-based build
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 18:50:30
1 On 01/30/2017 15:04, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > All,
3 >
4 > I have been looking at the meson build system [1] [2], and I like what I
5 > see.
6 >
7 > I have opened an issue on OpenRC's github wrt migrating OpenRC to the
8 > meson build system [3].
9 >
10 > As I said on the bug, the downside is the addition of py3 and ninja as
11 > build time dependencies, but I think the upside (a build system where
12 > we don't have to worry about parallel make issues or portability)
13 > outweighs that.
14 >
15 > What do folks think here?
16 >
17 > Thanks,
18 >
19 > William
20 >
21 > [1] https://mesonbuild.com
22 > [2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae9_rNuFaQM
23 > [3] https://github.com/OpenRC/openrc/issues/116
24
25 dev-util/ninja is hosed at the moment on a hardened/amd64 system built using
26 gcc-6.x. See Bug #604198. This one package is holding up my dev box from
27 updating clang/llvm and several other dependent packages. I've given up trying
28 to debug it, too. It's something gcc-6.x is doing, code-generation-wise, that
29 is beyond my ability to troubleshoot.
32 Joshua Kinard
33 Gentoo/MIPS
34 kumba@g.o
35 6144R/F5C6C943 2015-04-27
36 177C 1972 1FB8 F254 BAD0 3E72 5C63 F4E3 F5C6 C943
37
38 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our
39 lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
40
41 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic