From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Review: desc/cpu_flags_x86.desc
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 00:13:57
1 On Sunday 18 January 2015 21:44:05 Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I would like to commit the following flags as cpu_flags_x86_desc.
5 > The list combines global USE flags with some local USE flags I've been
6 > able to find.
9 > 3dnow - Use the 3DNow! instruction set
10 > 3dnowext - Use the Enhanced 3DNow! instruction set
11
12 Those are kinda mostly dead (no new CPUs have them anymore)
13
14 > aes-ni - Enable support for Intel's AES instruction set (aes in cpuinfo)
15 > avx - Adds support for Advanced Vector Extensions instructions
16 > avx2 - Adds support for Advanced Vector Extensions 2 instructions
17 > fma - Use the Fused Multiply Add instruction set
18
19 > mmx - Use the MMX instruction set
20 Not sure if this one needs to be specified - amd64 always has it, and on x86
21 your code should do cpu feature detection anyway
22
23 > mmxext - Use the Extended MMX instruction set (intersection of Enhanced
24 > 3DNow! and SSE instruction sets) (3dnowext or sse in cpuinfo) padlock - Use
25 > VIA padlock instructions
26 Kinda very dead, even more than 3dnow
27
28 > popcnt - Enable popcnt instruction support
29 Why?!
30
31 > sse - Use the SSE instruction set
32 Always exists on amd64, so this would be x86 special
33
34 > sse2 - Use the SSE2 instruction set
35 > sse3 - Use the SSE3 instruction set (pni in cpuinfo)
36 > sse4 - Enable SSE4 instruction support
37 > sse4_1 - Enable SSE4.1 instruction support
38 > sse4_2 - Enable SSE4.2 instruction support
39 > sse4a - Enable SSE4a instruction support
40 > ssse3 - Use the SSSE3 instruction set
41 Wow, such a wonderful mess :)
44 So half of those are obsolete/dead, and the other half you need to do proper
45 feature detection - why do we want that as useflags again?