From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: ML changes
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 12:36:14
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2
3 > Matthias Langer wrote:
4 >> no offense, but this is one of the worst proposals i've ever read on
5 >> this list; why? because, one of gentoo's major problems is that it is
6 >> becoming more and more a toy exclusively for its own developers.
7 >
8 > Gentoo's always been exclusively for the developers. Nobody's paying us
9 > to do this. It just so happens that the things we want to do also
10 > benefit other people, and so they use them.
11 >
12 It also happens that bugs are reported, and patches provided, by users. Not
13 to mention documentation written, support provided on irc and in forums,
14 which are the envy of every OS out there. Oh and the small matter of
15 defending Gentoo against detractors, the most telling of which are those
16 who criticise elitist ``devs''.
17
18 Are you really claiming that Gentoo could possibly function as an
19 organisation without the users?
20
21 steveL -- sick of this attitude (and waiting for the "oh but we're users
22 too"; so be moderated like us then.)
23
24 Here's an idea: close the dev m-l and have a dev forum instead. If you
25 cannot maintain the level of civility we have to, how can you possibly
26 claim to represent Gentoo to the level expected?
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list