From: Douglas Freed <dwfreed@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] OpenRc-0.12 is coming soon
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 11:13:05
1 On Aug 3, 2013 6:04 AM, "Markos Chandras" <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Aug 3, 2013 10:06 AM, "Donnie Berkholz" <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > On 15:36 Fri 02 Aug , William Hubbs wrote:
6 > > > All,
7 > > >
8 > > > This message is an announcement and a reminder.
9 > > >
10 > > > OpenRc-0.12 will be introduced to the portage tree in the next few
11 days.
12 > > >
13 > > > If you are using ~arch OpenRc, the standard disclaimer applies:
14 remember
15 > > > that you might be subject to breakage.
16 > > >
17 > > > I do not know of any breakage personally. It does work on my system,
18 and
19 > > > I know of others who are using OpenRc from git successfully. Some are
20 > > > OpenRc team members, and at least one is a Gentoo user.
21 > > >
22 > > > If you are not comfortable with the possibility of breakage, I
23 recommend
24 > > > that you make sure you do not upgrade right away.
25 > > >
26 > > > If, on the other hand, you are comfortable with that possibility and
27 you
28 > > > are willing to help us test and get rid of bugs before we go stable,
29 > > > feel free to run ~arch.
30 > > >
31 > > > In other words, this is the standard Gentoo disclaimer, so consider
32 > > > yourself warned.
33 > >
34 > > Man, in terms of how to phrase things, this is way wrong.
35 > >
36 > > If you're comfortable with your stuff breaking really? No. If you want
37 > > to help improve Gentoo.
38 > >
39 > > --
40 > > Thanks,
41 > > Donnie
42 > >
43 > > Donnie Berkholz
44 > > Council Member / Sr. Developer, Gentoo Linux <http://dberkholz.com>
45 > > Analyst, RedMonk <http://redmonk.com/dberkholz/>
46 >
47 > I am not comfortable with this either. If you think the new openrc will
48 likely break things please mask it for a few days. Do not expect all users
49 to read the mailing list.
50
51 I personally expect this of ~arch, and am pleasantly surprised every time I
52 update and it still works. As WilliamH mentioned, he's not seen breakage
53 himself, but as with anything undergoing active development, as they say,
54 "sh*t happens". People have all sorts of setups (including myself, using a
55 preup function to rename interfaces when using oldnet), and while they try
56 to test everything they can, they can't reproduce every possible scenario.
57 If you're running ~arch, you should assume it might break, and be prepared
58 for that as a possibility. That's why we call it testing, and Debian does
59 this in a similar manner and testing there tends to break in cute ways when
60 they release the freeze after a release, when everything waiting in sid for
61 months suddenly is now in testing. If you know something common will
62 break, or repairing breakage would be a significant PITA, then yes, it
63 should enter the tree masked (see GCC for example), otherwise, imo,
64 entering the tree ~arch is fine.
65
66 -Doug
67
68 PS: I'll probably install openrc-9999 on one of my systems today, just to
69 see if anything breaks :)