From: Bjoern Michaelsen <P17y004@××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Installer For Gento
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 18:53:35
1 On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 10:09:17 +0800
2 Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
5 > 3. I think you seriously need to come up with an "enterprise strategy"
6 > and standardised installs with support rather than letting them go their
7 > own way (if that is possible).
11 I think a better way towards a GUI installer would be a installer reading a file specifing how to install. Since the gentoo install instructions are pretty streamlined by now, it should be possible to generate a XML-file-scheme describing the process.
12 If that is done, it wouldn't be to hard to generate a Live-CD starting, for example the miniserv.pl from webmin with a web-based interface for the installer generating just a XML file and starting the installer (making it network-transparent on the fly).
13 Also it offers other options, like for example in a enterprise environment, you could have a live-CD identifying the system its boots up by the NIC, downloads a configuration from one central server and completes the install without user interaction. Thus, this might allow a pretty easy administration of a gentoo-farm ;-)
14 Ok, Im dreaming here.
15 The hardest part would be a flexible way to identify existing drives/partitions and resizing windows partitions to make it possible to use "generic" installer-files (things like "find the smaller drive, resize existing Windows-partition to 50% of the the drive-size ...") on different hardware.
16
17 I've been thinking about this for quite some time, but did not find the time to dig deeper into this ....
18
19 Greetz,
22 Björn Michaelsen
23 pub 1024D/C9E5A256 2003-01-21 Björn Michaelsen <bmichaelsen@×××.de>
24 Key fingerprint = D649 8C78 1CB1 23CF 5CCF CA1A C1B5 BBEC C9E5 A256