From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [agriffis@gentoo.org: Re: [gentoo-core] new USE flag proposal: ccc]
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 17:34:11
1 On Sun, 2003-04-27 at 18:01, Aron Griffis wrote:
2
3 hiya
6 > 1. Maybe the icc ebuild should install wrapper scripts for the icc-CHOST
7 > form so that it can be used in distcc/cross-compiling. Also the ccc
8 > ebuild should do the same. In fact, it could be a single script with
9 > multiple symlinks, then setup flags in the script based on name...
10 > Does this make sense?
13 Could work.
14
15 > 2. I think that your PREFERRED_COMPILERS scheme makes sense except that
16 > it requires the compiler to be a single word. Now sure, one could
17 > argue that CC should always be a single word, but people have done
18 > successful setups with CC="distcc gcc" so I don't think we should
19 > break that if possible.
22 AFAIK, distcc, ccache, and colorgcc was all fixed (if applicable) to
23 work transparent, so this should not be a problem.
24
25 > I think that it is worthwhile to try to find a good solution to this.
26 > Hopefully we can find one that is elegant enough so that not too much
27 > complexity is added, and it's intuitive for people to use. Right now
28 > it's a high goal for the alpha team to make ccc a reality, but it cannot
29 > happen unless ccc is automatically selected for the ebuilds on which it
30 > applies. It's not reasonable to make users run "CC=ccc emerge" to be
31 > able to take advantage of ccc.
34 Right, I understand this.
37 > Azarah wrote: [Sat Apr 26 2003, 03:21:51PM EDT]