From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [DOWNTIME devmanual.gentoo.org]
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 11:02:22
1 On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 02:12:53 -0400 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | While a flamewar will probably ensue; this is not the intent of this
4 | mail or of the bug filing. Please keep your unproductive comments
5 | off-list and off the bug. I will lock the bug if it becomes
6 | necessary. This mail and the bug exist to allow transparency for this
7 | situation; I don't want an open field where everyone throws their two
8 | cents in just because they can. Only comment if you have something
9 | relevant to say.
10
11 Ok, for the sake of transparency... Here's the request I sent. I only
12 did so after having being ignored repeatedly and deliberately by
13 plasmaroo, who refuses to even acknowledge that I've asked him to fix
14 things.
15
16 You'll note that nowhere did I demand that Kurt immediately pull
17 everything and start making a fuss in public. A simple "yes, there's
18 a problem, and we'll get it fixed within the next few days" would
19 have been fine. I deliberately kept this private because fixing a few
20 very simple things should not involve huge arguments in public. Ideally
21 it'd just involve a quick /query on IRC...
22
23 As for why attribution matters... Aside from the legal issue, the
24 *only* thing any of the devmanual authors get for having written it is
25 to get their name on it. There's no pay, no rewards. Replacing the
26 cover page author list with the name of one guy who didn't contribute
27 anything in a huge font is just about the most impressive "screw you"
28 one could possibly give to a volunteer.
29
30 Meh, but since this has been brought out in public, here's the full
31 text. Hopefully it'll help dispel some of the fud a few people are
32 spreading:
33
34 =====
35 Following up upon my previous post [3] and requests over IRC, which have
36 not yet been resolved:
37
38 The "Gentoo Development Guide" (devmanual), which is being hosted on a
39 gentoo.org domain at [1], is being distributed in violation of its
40 licence. The devmanual is distributed under the terms of the Creative
41 Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 licence [2], which has the following
42 to say in 4c:
43
44 "at a minimum such credit will appear where any other comparable
45 authorship credit appears and in a manner at least as prominent as such
46 other comparable authorship credit."
47
48 Note in particular "at least as prominent as".
49
50 The current cover page does not follow this requirement. It lists Tim
51 Yamin as 'Editor', with myself in smaller type below, and does not
52 include any of the other original authors (and copyright holders) with
53 the same prominence.
54
55 Please either restore the author credits to their original form or cease
56 from distributing the devmanual. It is my understanding that between the
57 listed Editor, QA, devrel, the Council, the Foundation and the people
58 maintaining the gentoo.org website, at least one available person should
59 be able to make this change -- if not, please let me know whom I should
60 contact. I realise that it may take a few days to make the change; in
61 any case, please notify me of your intentions as soon as reasonably
62 possible.
63
64 Many thanks,
65