From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev and /usr
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 02:09:21
1 On 09/19/2011 20:29, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > See:
5 > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove
6 >
7 > That is some of the rationale for Fedora. It isn't a bad idea both
8 > for destop-oriented and server-oriented setups. It especially makes
9 > sense for a more traditional distro with versioned releases (basicaly
10 > you just drop in a new /usr and you're done minus a few /etc updates -
11 > and if you make /etc nothing but overrides from defaults then it would
12 > itself be almost empty and not need updates much).
13 >
14 > Sure, we're not really planning to do that with Gentoo, but that is
15 > the pressure upstream is under. When you have big distros pushing all
16 > the major projects in a particular direction we need to be really
17 > selective about where we push back.
18 >
19 > The sky isn't falling though - nobody is looking to go out of their
20 > way to break non-root /usr, and we are looking to have a minimal
21 > initramfs even for those cases where it breaks a little.
22 >
23 > Rich
24
25 Good info, thanks!
26
27 It definitely seems like something RH is cooking up for future releases of
28 RHEL, where their primary customer base is going to be installing clusters
29 and a ton of VMs. I understand this, but I still disagree with them pushing
30 for this to be the default in a way to influence major projects. Regardless
31 if Gentoo goes in that direction or not, if enough core software adopts
32 this, we'll essentially have no choice but to adopt the same.
33
34 That's what I take issue with -- the whims of a commercial enterprise
35 ultimately deciding, at some possible, future point, what path we take. In
36 other words, those of us not running cluster farms shouldn't have to change
37 things, even slightly (like using an initramfs if needed) for those that do.
38 Linux's greatest asset is its extreme configurability -- a single source
39 tree can be compiled to run on super computers or cable boxes.
40
41 And I see yet another reference to MacOS's /System in that link, too...
44 Joshua Kinard
45 Gentoo/MIPS
46 kumba@g.o
47 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
48
49 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
50 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
51
52 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic