From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Improve the security of the default profile
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2013 18:50:59
1 El sáb, 07-09-2013 a las 14:37 -0400, Rich Freeman escribió:
2 > On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 2:10 PM, Martin Vaeth
3 > <vaeth@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
4 > > Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
5 > >>
6 > >> * -fstack-protector{-all}
7 > >> No thank you. -fstack-protector has very limited coverage
8 > >
9 > > I'd say it covers most cases where bugs can be made,
10 > > practically without a severe impact on execution time or code size.
11 > > In contrast, -fstack-protector-all should be left to hardened, since
12 > > its impact is unacceptable to e.g. multimedia systems - the
13 > > protection is probably over-the-top for normal users.
14 > > I'd vote for enabling -fstack-protector by default:
15 > > I am using it since many years (though I do not use hardened profile,
16 > > since -fstack-protector-all had too much a performance impact for me).
17 > >
18 > >> -fstack-protector-strong
19 > >
20 > > One can later still change to this when >=gcc-4.9 is available in stable.
21 >
22 > ++, ++
23 >
24 > No doubt stack-protector-strong is better than stack-protector, but
25 > stack-protector is still better than nothing, and nothing is the
26 > current default.
27 >
28 > Improvements don't need to be perfect - they just need to be improvements.
29 >
30 > Rich
33 Is there any kind of information about performance penalty of
34 -fstack-protector? I have googled some time and there are various
35 estimations (from ~2 to ~8%), but I have no idea what have they checked
36 exactly. Also, multiple comments here refer to "not severe impact" that
37 looks to me like it will have impact but "not too much" :/. For some
38 recent computers I would probably use it, but for older ones, I am not
39 sure if will be happy with that additional impact :|
40
41 Thanks for the info