From: Stroller <root@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Nautilus idea.
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 14:00:59
1 On Oct 30, 2003, at 5:09 pm, Ian Leitch wrote:
2
3 > ...
4 > An extension to Nautilus's video playback abilities that allows videos,
5 > live streams(conferences, web cam, security video) etc, to be shrunk to
6 > icon size (or a user defined size) and given a small caption just like
7 > an icon's title, the video should also shed its window and sound muted.
8
9 I was watching a video on my Mac last night, and was noticably
10 impressed with the way Expose handled it.
11
12 It seemed a little juddery scaling between full size & preview (whilst
13 scaling several other windows at the same time) but I can't reproduce
14 that now - it's *absolutely* smooth. Videos continue to play as they
15 resize so that all windows fit on the screen, and when animation
16 squashes them minimised [1]. As long as they're being playing in the
17 QuickTime player they also continue to play as a 5mm - 30mm icon in the
18 dock.
19
20 The key words are that Mac OS X allows "arbitrary transformations on
21 windows". I'm not sure how useful it is to be able to shrink moving
22 video to icon-size, and I'd agree with anyone that says that the Genie
23 effect in my screenshots is no more than a gimmick, but with the recent
24 release of OS X.2.3 & it's Expose function - you probably have to try
25 it before you appreciate it - but now it's a fantastically useful tool.
26
27 I think that anything like this is a hell of a task within the current
28 framework of X, however.
29
30 Stroller.
33 [1] See http://mac.stroller.uk.eu.org/Genie1.jpg