From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: gles global USE flag, USE=opengl clarifying
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 00:44:35
1 On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 10:11 AM, Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > Currently we have rather a mess in terms of OpenGL API handling.
5 > I think much of it comes from USE=opengl being rather vague - is it
6 > supposed to mean "Use desktop GL", "Use GLX", or "Enable OpenGL
7 > support". All of these mean quite different things:
8 > * desktop GL means full OpenGL API, which in turn can be either used
9 > via GLX platform (X11 only) or EGL platform.
10 > * GLX means GLX platform - usable only on X11; all good and same as
11 > desktop GL in the past, but we have people wanting wayland-only now
12 > (and YES, desktop GL via EGL platform _is_ a thing), and GLX obviously
13 > isn't something that works in native wayland.
14 > * GL support could mean 3D via OpenGL in general; be it OpenGL, GLESv2,
15 > GLESv3...
16 >
17 > To make things easier to follow, there are basically three different
18 > concepts and potential choices to make:
19 >
20 > * API
21 > * Platform
22 > * Windowing system
23 >
24 > API is either "full desktop" OpenGL (think e.g. OpenGL 4.5), or GLES;
25 > GLES has multiple versions, but in practice it's GLESv2 with optional
26 > support for GLESv3 - however afaik latest mesa supports GLESv3 too
27 > whenever GLESv2 is built.
28 >
29 > Platform is either GLX or EGL. GLX only works in combination with "full
30 > desktop" OpenGL; EGL can work with either.
31 > For non-Linux there's also CGL (OSX), WGL (Windows), EAGL (iOS) and
32 > more. Can be interesting for Gentoo Prefix.
33 >
34 > "EGL is an interface between Khronos rendering APIs such as OpenGL ES
35 > or OpenVG and the underlying native platform window system." - thus the
36 > third choice with EGL platform - windowing system. This then is about
37 > supporting a certain graphics environment with EGL (with GLX that can
38 > be taken as just always X).
39 > This can be for example x11, wayland, GBM (think rendering 3D directly
40 > on top of a KMS terminal), win32, cocoa, android, vivante framebuffer
41 > (with proprietary vivante 3D stack; not applicable to open source
42 > etnaviv), DispmanX (RPi), etc.
43 > This can be a choice especially for certain kind of OpenGL libraries;
44 > one big example I know of is GStreamer GL libraries.
48 > Anyhow, here's an initial proposal to try to sort it out via a USE=gles
49 > global USE flag and a set of guidelines how to use it together with a
50 > USE=opengl and other related USE flags in ebuilds:
53 > use.desc:
54 > opengl - Add support for desktop OpenGL (3D graphics)
55 > gles - Add support for OpenGL ES, or prefer it over desktop OpenGL. This should usually only be enabled globally on embedded systems that do not support full desktop GL.
56 >
57 > [How is it correct to refer to "full desktop" GL without it being
58 > confusing with OpenGL in general?]
59
60 That's what people on my team call it to differentiate. "Desktop" vs ES.
61
62 > Guidelines:
63 >
64 > * If package has optional GL support in general (can work with either
65 > desktop GL or GLES when OpenGL is enabled; doesn't care which one is
66 > there), use both opengl and gles in IUSE and enable GL support and
67 > ebuild logic when either is enabled
68
69 Sounds good.
70
71 > * If package is fully about OpenGL (GL itself isn't optional) and
72 > supports either desktop GL or GLES, but not both at once: IUSE="gles"
73 > and use GLES if that is set, "full desktop" GL otherwise.
74
75 Probably the best thing to do.
76
77 > * If package is fully about OpenGL (GL itself isn't optional) and
78 > supports either desktop GL or GLES, including both at once: IUSE="gles
79 > +opengl" and use whichever is enabled. As GL isn't optional as a whole,
80 > require at least one of them: REQUIRED_USE="|| ( gles opengl )".
81
82 Sounds good.
83
84 > * If package has optional OpenGL support and needs specific logic for
85 > the chosen API: IUSE="gles opengl" or IUSE="gles +opengl", depending if
86 > GL should be default enabled (albeit we might want to revise this via
87 > profile level defaults flag instead?) - don't default enable gles, as
88 > it's not a common use case and such embedded system users will have it
89 > globally enabled anyways.
90 > ** Enable any of the GL logic only if either gles or opengl is enabled.
91 > ** If both are supported at the same time, enable whichever is chosen
92 > by user (this could often mean also passing a generic --enable-gl
93 > passing if either USE is set and then specifying the API to use with a
94 > separate build flag).
95 > ** If both are not supported at the same time, set REQUIRED_USE="gles?
96 > ( !opengl )", use whichever is chosen (keeping in mind that both might
97 > be disabled → no GL at all).
98 >
99 > * If package needs to provide choices for the used GL platform or
100 > windowing system, while GL itself is optional as a whole, don't forget
101 > to keep the dependencies and other logic for the platform/WS
102 > conditional to USE=gles and/or USE=opengl. This is usually easiest to
103 > handle via GL_DEPS helper variable with dependencies applicable to
104 > either and then putting it in as e.g. "opengl? ( $GL_DEPS ) gles? (
105 > $GL_DEPS )" together with any specific ones; similar for certain needed
106 > REQUIRED_USEs, with appropriate conditional blocks in src_configure().
107 >
108 > * If package supports X11 via either GLX or EGL x11 windowing system,
109 > just enable GLX via USE="opengl X" (or USE="-gles X" if no opengl in
110 > IUSE) and EGL x11 via USE="egl X". Don't forget that "egl X" should
111 > pull in EGL and X dependencies necessary for it only if GL as a whole
112 > is enabled, if that is optional.
113
114 Sounds good.
115
116 > * It is OK to have certain REQUIRED_USE restrictions when applicable,
117 > but avoid unnecessary pain via appropriate use of IUSE defaults. Also
118 > don't forget that some restrictions might only apply if GL as a whole
119 > is enabled — e.g. REQUIRED_USE="gles? ( $GL_REQUIRED_USE ) opengl? (
120 > $GL_REQUIRED_USE )". Don't force users to make choices when that choice
121 > isn't even relevant — e.g. REQUIRED_USE="wayland? ( egl )", when this
122 > is only relevant if optional GL is enable via either USE="opengl" or
123 > USE="gles" - user would have to potentially enable egl without reason,
124 > because he wanted non-GL wayland support for the package, but wayland
125 > windowing system support isn't built anyways (just generic wayland
126 > support).
127 >
128 > ----
129 >
130 > Initially I thought of a global USE=gles2, but during the writing of
131 > this e-mail, I realized that as USE=opengl doesn't specify a version
132 > either (e.g. 3.3 or 4.5), so combined with gles3 not really needing a
133 > separate handling, it'd be more consistent with just USE=gles.
134 > However I'm rather torn on this - it could just as well be USE=gles2
135 > instead, which just specifies that it's GLESv2 or later; then it's also
136 > clear we don't deal with old GLESv1 via this.
137
138 gles2 is much more common than just gles in the tree. There are no
139 known gles1 applications on desktop Linux, so I'm happy to just remove
140 the gles1 flag from media-libs/mesa.
141
142 I'd say we go with gles2.
143
144 > I doubt this proposal is perfect, but I think it does bring a bit of
145 > sanity and consistency to the situation. Additionally I only have a
146 > view of what my co-maintained packages are doing, support and need; I
147 > might not have thought of valid setups needed by other packages, which
148 > this wouldn't work for.
149 >
150 > I also realize this can be complex to handle by maintainers in ebuilds,
151 > but the goal is to have it consistent and understandable to users, and
152 > easier to handle via global USE choice:
153 > "If you want to enable OpenGL when it's a choice → enable USE=opengl or
154 > USE=gles globally, depending if you have full desktop OpenGL support or
155 > not (embedded)".
156 >
157 > For ebuild complexity, it's not all that bad; see for example media-
158 > libs/gst-plugins-base-1.14.1 or newer.
161 > I'm happy to hear valid concerns where this wouldn't work or situations
162 > where this isn't good for global choosing by user. But please be
163 > considerate and bring up only new cases, not those that are already
164 > brought up on the thread (that is, read all unread mails in thread
165 > before posting yourself).
166
167 Thanks for starting this thread (and for removing the REQUIRED_USE from gst :)