From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] First release of Gentoo Keys
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 04:44:10
1 On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 18:37:36 -0800 Brian Dolbec wrote:
2 > When you add a signing subkey, that subkey then becomes the default key
3 > used for signing with. If you have more than one signing subkey, the
4 > default can be set in gnupg.conf without editing the key. Otherwise
5 > you must specify which key to sign with. It is much easier to
6 > revoke that signing subkey and add a new one, without the need to
7 > create an entirely new key, losing all the key signatures it is signed
8 > with. If you revoke a primary key, all subkeys it contains are revoked
9 > as well. In that article the author describes how to generate the
10 > subkeys and remove the original (master) keypair for installation on a
11 > laptop, desktop, etc. (separate subkeys for each machine) which may be
12 > stolen. You keep the original(master) keypair in a secure location (eg:
13 > bank safe deposit box, etc.) If the laptop is stolen, the thieves do not
14 > have access to modify the gpg keys (even if they have the password),
15 > and those specific subkeys can be easily revoked, without losing your
16 > entire gpg key and the signatures it has accumulated. Using your master
17 > keypair you generate new subkeys for installation on your replacement
18 > laptop, and continue...
19
20 I still don't understand why requirement of a separate signing
21 subkey is mandatory in GLEP:63. I solves such a corner case where
22 other solutions are possible meanwhile, e.g. encrypt your laptop's
23 HDD, use a LUKS partition on top of it, store password-protected
24 secret key there. In fact the most dangerous attack is in-memory
25 breach when key is being stolen from memory without any trace
26 (Heltzner hosting breach comes to my mind here) and a separate
27 signing subkey wouldn't help here at all. While this requirement
28 may improve security a bit, it should go to recommendations and not
29 to bare minimum stuff. Even document referenced by GLEP:63:
30 RiseUp.net OpenPGP best practices
31 [https://we.riseup.net/riseuplabs+paow/openpgp-best-practices]
32 points out that a separate signing subkey is only an optional bonus:
33
34 (bonus) Have a separate subkey for signing, and keep your primary
35 key entirely offline.
36
37 Meanwhile link above is outdated and the following should be used
38 instead:
39 https://help.riseup.net/en/security/message-security/openpgp/best-practices
40
41 On the other hand GLEP:63 allows weak algos like DSA-2048, which
42 makes me shivers. Yes, DSA-2048 is not officially broken yet, but
43 with RSA-1024 already broken in open media I don't trust 2048
44 algos, especially when they have numerous design flaws (like good
45 entropy requirement for every signing) and implementations weakness
46 are likely to be there. Agencies are always a few steps ahead, so
47 this should be taken into account.
48
49 Best regards,
50 Andrew Savchenko